The International Rescue Committee invites you to The Presidential Determination of Refugee Admissions and the Economic Impact of Refugee Resettlement
Tuesday, October 31st, 2017 5:30-7:00pm.
At Murphy-Wilmot Library. 530 N Wilmot Rd., Tucson, AZ 85710
In partnership with the Murphy-Wilmot Library, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Tucson launches a seven-part refugee resettlement lecture series. Each fiscal year, the president, in consultation with the Congress, determines the number of refugees admitted to the United States. IRC Tucson Executive Director, Jeffrey Cornish, will discuss the Presidential Determination of Refugee Admissions and the Economic Impact of Refugee Resettlement.
This presentation will be followed by:
- Tuesday, November 28th
- Cross-Cultural Refugee Panel - Learn about refugees from refugees. Individuals who came to Tucson as refugees will discuss their resettlement experience and will provide an overview of their cultures to members of the Tucson community.
- Tuesday, December 12
- Refugee Nutrition and Food Security - This session will discuss how refugees work towards a healthier futures for their families through nutrition education and participating in community gardening.
- Tuesday, January 30
- History of the U.S. Refugee Resettlement Program and Resettlement Models from Around the World - The U.S. is one of the 37 countries resettling refugees. Learn about our country's long history of welcoming refugees and how its resettlement process differs from the resettlement models around the world.
- Tuesday, February 27
- Refugee Health - Explore the health needs of refugees and the community's efforts to assist them in navigating the complexities of the U.S. healthcare system.
- Tuesday, March 27
- Global Refugee Trends and Resettlement Update - the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees publishes an annual report on the migration trends of refugees and displaced persons around the world. This session will cover the global refugee resettlement trends and provide the community with an update on local resettlement.